Sunday, April 28, 2013

I get homesick - Larry Bird

Mt. McKinley
Somewhere NW of Anchorage. I LOVE this picture
While I am making some pretty incredible friends here in Nome and continuing my awesome friendship with my original Nomie I was so so overcome with wanting to go back to Denver today I almost couldn't get on the plane to come back to Nome. I cried in the airport and on the plane.  I miss all the luxuries in life that cities have to offer, I miss driving a car and cranking the music and singing at the top of my lungs, or how much a place of refuge it can be. I wanted to see my friends in Denver again.. desperately.  I wanted to play in the sunshine and climb mountains, and be warm with my friends! I called my friend Emily who is in Nome and she talked me down. She wisely pointed out that I haven't been in Nome long enough to experience the charms that make people stay for years, and raise kids here. I haven't been able to see open water from the shore yet, or the midnight sun, or going 4-wheeling at 2am when it's still bright outside. While Nome doesn't have big city luxuries it does have some serious small town charm.  Getting on a plane where everyone knows everyone, the flight attendants know regulars by name. Walking down front street you know people! Emily and I were in the post office and between the two of us we knew everyone there! That doesn't happen in big cities usually.  Our ER docs bring shotguns to work because they want to show it off to everyone... this DEFINITELY  doesn't happen anywhere else! The best analogy I have heard is Nome is like a neighborhood you just can't physically leave unless you get on a plane.  And hey.. neighborhoods can be pretty nice :)  Here are some pictures from the plane ride to and from Anchorage.  It's like they are paintings. The landscape here is absolutely breathtaking.

 There is no need to worry. I am just adjusting (slowly... but it's forward progress).  It's just going to take some time. Until then I'm gonna ride my ATV and take pictures of cool stuff.  I'm getting together with a group from the hospital that skis in the mountains outside of town and will hopefully be skiing again Saturday!

Me and Jesse going for a ride! 

Ha! Happy Nurse Sara! 
Tomorrow is a new day, and a new day brings new beginnings, and a better outlook than today.  I am excited to be in Nome, and I will make the best of it. Homesickness be damned!

Take care lovelies! Talk again soon!

  

2 comments:

  1. Aw. I miss you. A lot.
    But you look fabulous and you are making a difference in the middle of nowhere! You'll be back soon enough. Try to enjoy this phase. :)

    ReplyDelete