Sunday, April 7, 2013

Nome sweet Nome


Fun little sign in town
I have made it to my new home! I came in on the late jet and was picked up by my boss, we also picked up a traveling nurse who was on the flight as well.  Tomorrow is syllabus day.  For those of you that don't know what "Syllabus day" is it is the first day of school where you go over the syllabus and talk about things like where the pencil sharpener is (although I'm sure those don't exist anymore because kids can make sharp objects and it could be a potential hazard... how did I make it this far in life alive?), where and when to turn in homework and the like.  It's paperwork day, get my paycheck in the right account day, set up my 401k day, get my hospital ID day... it's the boring HR day (sorry mom, it is boring!).  Tuesday however I get to put on my new scrubs and be a real nurse.... ummm??? I don't even feel like I remember anything from those two years in nursing school.... you want me to not kill someone DAY 2????? that is a lot of faith!  My trusty boss told me in his deep southern draw that he hasn't lost in the 10 years that he has been here "Don't worry it'll come back, just gotta find it again"  Okay Todd. Whatever you say.  As my dependable nursing school friends and I would say in nursing school "Fake it until you make it"  I guess it's time for the ultimate fake it until you make it game.

So once I arrived at my lovely corporate housing home (It is on the second floor of a two story place... come to think of it it might be one of the 5 tallest buildings in town... I am not joking).  I have cable TV and hard wired internet.  Fun Fact: internet here is charged by the megabyte... hello 1993!  I have a big blue couch, a love seat, kitchen table, dishes and pots and pans.  The sheets are actually really soft, but I am still using my own towel! I am 3 blocks from the hospital (walking!) and 4 blocks from the Bering Sea (since I am in such a tall building.... ocean front view!).  The Bering Sea is still frozen up to about 2 miles out, but soon enough the sea ice will break up and move north and then it will be for real ocean front!
I will take another shot when the ice is gone.  This is the view from my kitchen window
The Bering Sea is out there. All covered in ice.  This is the view from my living room window.
The prices at the grocery stores aren't so bad. maybe 100-150% of what you might pay in the lower 48, this is far better than the bush town of Bethel where every thing is around 300% the cost of anything in the lower 48.

 So without further ado here are some pictures of my new stylish place that I will be calling home for the next 6-8 weeks until I go to Anchorage for training in June.

My living room.  Pretty sure this stuff has been floating around Nome for about the last 20 years

My pretty large kitchen!

This is my TV.  no HD here.  hahaha look how tiny it is!
And one last picture. This was taken at 945pm.  Around mid May is when Nome has 21 hours of sunshine and 3 hours of dusky time (still gonna need those sunglasses!)

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to pop in and say that I managed to live in a barn in Vermont. You can do this. Sometimes there is beauty in isolation. Especially when you know it's temporary - and will be back in Denver before you know it! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel I totally forgot you lived in a barn for a couple of years! Ha! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete