Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Paperwork!

Well the last few days have been all about the paperwork and meeting everyone in the hospital.  I won't be actually on the floor until probably next week. Then let the fun begin!  Yesterday was signing all the paperwork for HR, HIPAA training (cause God knows I haven't had enough of that in the last 4 years), sat through boring mandatory OSHA classes, got my official ID badge, but also got to meet some kindred spirits as well; here for an adventure and the beauty of the unknown.   I will post a picture of the hospital next time. I can't believe I haven't taken a picture of it yet!  Here is a picture of the view from the hospital though
This is the view from the front. Looks out over the Bering Sea. I will get a picture of the view from the back soon!


Today I woke to an incredible sunrise and walked to work.  I know one day soon it will be above 0 when I walk to work... at least I hope it will!  The wind chill hasn't been above zero much either.  At least the sun is blazing! I got to meet all kinds of people in the hospital today including the forensic nurse who works with sexual assault victims. I hope that I have a chance to do some outreach within the villages that Nome supports as well as in Nome to help teach awareness about this topic. I don't think I could draw that line between work and my personal life if I were to be trained in doing the exams.  The sad trend in this region is that roughly 53% of all sexual assault happens to children.  Horrifying.  Most of this abuse is discovered when the child reports it either to a parent or a teacher.  This actually shocked me a little. That a child would know and not be ashamed or bullied into "keeping a secret".  This is because of how much work has been done already to discuss this topic, making it less taboo, and make it a topic of public health and safety.

Fishies in the sky!
On a totally new and less deep topic... the hospital has incredible artwork! It's almost like a museum with all of the artifacts, paintings, sculptures, and stuffed animals on display. Here is some artwork of caribou and salmon.  The salmon art is a huge mobile that dangles 2 stories over the main entrance.  It is very cool!

Caribou wall art


If you guys ever have any questions, whether I personally know you are not, please leave a comment. I will get back back to you! I'm sure some of you have the same questions too!  

I leave you with my sunrise this morning. So long lovelies! Until next time!



2 comments:

  1. Waiting for more adventures! Are you past paperwork and on to heroically serving the wounded?

    ReplyDelete