Saturday, May 4, 2013

For every dark night, there’s a brighter day. - Tupac Shakur

Clouds, the horizon and the sea ice
So sorry for the long delay in checking in! If I wasn't working on the floor I was in class renewing my Pediatric Advanced Life Support certification.  I was pretty glad I retook the course because we got one VERY sick kiddo soon after my class had ended.  2 months old and working REAL hard to breathe. We didn't have to intubate the little one, but it came real close.  After you intubate someone you have pretty much run out of ventilation options, so we hung real tight and watched this little ones sats real close and waited to see if the nebulizer treatments and humidified air going through the nasal cannula would be enough until the flight team from Anchorage could get to Nome.  This little kiddo came from a village and wasn't handling altitude well so they stopped in Nome to re-stabilize and have the flight crew from Anchorage with their nifty kiddo carrier (helps with keeping them oxygenated at altitude) come to Nome to pick him up and take him back to the big city.  Don't know if the kiddo made it to Anchorage, but I would like to think they did and that our little ER helped to save a life. Other than the sick kiddo we had LOTS of drunk ladies, and good old abdominal pain.

When I'm working and going to training classes I feel very comfortable here. It's the 3 days off in a row that I have a hard time with.  My life seems to be on pause/slow-motion whilst I watch everyone else getting married, starting new relationships, ending old ones, having kids, first stages of pregnancy, all these big life events. I'm just hangin tough at the edge of nowhere watching from the outside. Pros and cons to everything though.

This was yesterday (5/3), and the moon was all pink!
Let's see today we are at 17 hours and 21 minutes for the length of our day... we have 19 hours and 57 minutes of visible daylight... SOON there will be 24 hours of visible light.  This should be cool. Especially because I have finally given in and blacked out the windows in my bedroom.  You call them black hefty trash bags... I call them make shift curtains. And they are AWESOME at making my room dark.  I'm now actually sleeping soundly again.  The sun doesn't go down until around midnight and it rises around 5 in the morning. And I get to see this out my kitchen window when I wake up early for work:

Thursday morning over the still
frozen Bering Sea
 I got back to the Post Office this week.  Got another awesome package from my favorite uncle and aunt! I will have plenty of puzzles and sodoku for weeks now! THANK YOU!! I also got in a whole bunch of boxes that I had forgotten I was going to be getting.  You see in bush AK we don't have 2-day shipping all shipping is roughly 3-4 weeks.  So I bought my shampoo and conditioner body wash, etc. and promptly forgot about all the cool lady stuff I had gotten.  UNTIL TUESDAY:
It's like Christmas!!!! 
 I also received snail mail from my wonderful friend Lindy! I needed this card more than ever. I totally teared up when I got it. I love you Lindy-loo!  

I am headed to the rec center for some much needed gym time, and then off for a drive with Emily! Going to see how far the road is open in any direction we choose!  Then to the "Soup-er" Bowl... It's like a chili cook off only with soup.. here's hoping I don't get food poisoning.. and if I do at least I got an in at the hospital ;) If I get any cool pictures from my drive today I will be sure to post them! Take care everyone! 

Thank you all for your emails, texts, and facebook messages sending me your well wishes after my homesick post. It's incredible to know that I have so many souls to hold me up when my wings get wet. Thank you all so much! I love you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment