Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Shit Happens.

Never able to turn down a cupcake... take all my money little kids! 
Saturday was Lemonade Stand day here in the great state of Alaska.  It is set up for little kids to set up lemonade stands around town, and being entrepreneurs by asking for start up money and local businesses to use space outside of their businesses or inside of them.  Jesse and I went around to as many as we could (there was like 55 stands!) I only had $23 cash so this is what ended up limiting us. That and I was pretty sure I was going to get diabetes in a single day.  These were far more than just lemonade stands... it was like 55 little bake sales that all sold lemonade of some kind, and cupcakes... God I love cupcakes.

I worked this past Sunday and Monday.  And I had a pretty entertaining experience. This patient comes in projectile vomiting, and just looked MISERABLE. It came to light that this person hadn't been able to poop for probably 3-4 days (Note when you stop passing things out the bottom... the body will get rid of it anyway that it can... yes.).  After we get back the x-ray that shows that this person is indeed FOS (Full of shit... literally) and there is a pretty serious blockage. I, the newest nurse on the team and the greenest, was told to give this person a soap suds enema.  First off, the look on this persons face was of pure horror at the mention of this treatment plan.  After explaining why we needed to do this and what the process was going to be they said that they would be willing to give it a try.  So alright lets do this.  My preceptor helps me get it all set up, we use the nice warmed sterile water from the warmer, a little castile soap, get the tubing set up, and the bed side commode... I am ready! So we get the person all positioned and they are still so uncomfortable, and I'm about to shove a tube up their butt and flood it with soapy water.  This person is so excited to meet me today.  So my preceptor is holding the patients hand, and I am on the business side.  Everything is going good, and we keep reminding this person to keep holding it in. DO NOT POOP ON ME! Keep holding it in. They are doing pretty good when out of nowhere the no longer sterile water comes at me like a cannon. My left leg was soaked. I started to laugh so hard it was nearly impossible to not audibly laugh.  My preceptor, bless her heart, managed a straight face through the whole thing.  One, two skip a few I was literally shit on by a patient.  They didn't know that it happened and at the end of the visit we had them all cleared out.  (Side note: this person was able to hold the almost 1 liter of soapy sterile water, minus what landed on me, in until they made it to the bedside commode.)  They were even able to joke about the whole ordeal after all was said and done and they were feeling better. When they were walking out of the ER we said our goodbyes, I said thanks for coming in, and they just responded "Thanks for letting me take a big shit". God Bless.

Thankfully this had all happened about an hour before it was time to go home. I changed my pants and chloroprepped my leg from hip to ankle 3 times. Then I went home and scrubbed a few more times.  Ahh the life of a nurse.

Monday was sooo pretty!
We've got 22 hours of visible light here now.  Granted it did start to flurry again, and the sea ice is starting to go away. We can see open water from shore, but it is still pretty far out.  Nomeites say that one day it will be there and the next it won't. So we will see! Six of the next 10 days are slated for the possibility of snow. Where did all that sunshine I showed up to go?! Bring it back. Bring it back right now!


Ugliest tape I have EVER seen. I had no problem
cutting this tape open. Didn't even hesitate ;) 
Today I got a couple packages from friends.  My airplane friend Dustin sent me a care package with some awesome toys and puzzles, and a few cat toys for when Bentley becomes a real tundra cat. McKenzie sent me homemade cookies!! Thanks you guys!! How did you know my candy supply went dry?!
SHINOBI AND LINK-N-LOG! McKenzie
and kitties sent me cookies!


Back to work Thursday and Friday.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Probably the gym, put together a puzzle and drink some wine. About par for the course when it's snowing and windy outside.




Take care lovelies!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are doing these girl! It's so fun to see your experiences in good old AK! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I will keep up with your blog too!!! Keep being awesome chickadee!!

      Delete