Thursday, June 6, 2013

Work is the curse of the drinking classes. - Oscar Wilde

Just relaxin on my day off!

The ME degree hard at work fixing
 O2 tank placement on crash carts!
I am so sorry for the delay in an update. There surely is no rest for the wicked. As soon as I got back from Anchorage it was 3 days on 1 day off 3 days on. This is my one day off before another 2 days on, then I get Sunday off then it's another three days in a row.... For those of you counting... 3 days off in 14 days.  I'm tired. This is a huge understatement.

Okay so the weather has been incredible here in Nome. Blue sky fever hit the ER HARD! For those of you who don't know what Blue Sky Fever is, there is only one cure for it. And that is... to be outside and enjoy the 60+ degree weather with sunshine that just won't end!  We saw 12 people in 12 hours each day the first 3 days I was back.  Then we got slammed the one very rainy day that we had. It was my first day out on my own, even though I am technically still on orientation and should  have had a mama duck hovering. We did awesome. It was nice to go home completely trashed from running around all day long!

We have had a solid flow of drunks coming through.  We had an individual who had a BAC of 423  (this was a blood draw, not a BRAC which is when they blow into the machine).  Best part about this person who had the BAC of 423?  They were kind enough to let me put a 14 gauge in them.. this is basically me putting a sewer pipe into someone.  What a rush that was. Could have done without them pulling the 14 out 15 minutes later. Oh did I mention this person was walking, talking, knew who they were, where they were, could remember the nurses names, tell us what had happened, why he came in, and assured us numerous times "I'm just fine!".  We did need to hang some fluids so I put in a much smaller bore IV in the other arm and started a slow drip. We knew this person was just fine when I came in to speed up his IV drip and this person looks at me with a big ol smile and says "I've had it wide open for about an hour". Yes doctor, I'm pretty sure this person could go home now.  They still blew a .289 but anyone with the ability to problem solve that the IV is running slow to keep them there, and then open up the clamp.... you may go now.


Me and Carolyn!

The view off the back side of Anvil Mt. 
On my one day off one of the new nurses to Nome, Carolyn, and I hopped on Dirtrude (that's what my ATV has been named) and drove out of town to the base of Anvil Mountain. We walked up the dirt road through some snow fields and found our way to the top and got to see White Alice up close and personal! To think White Alice was the only way for Nome to communicate with either Anchorage or Fairbanks during WWII besides post.  Fun fact! If someone was talking to Fairbanks... no one else could use the line until after that call was done.  It just kind of sits there and watches over Nome. And it has for many decades.  While up on the mountain we got see the tundra springing up! We found flowers that were popping up, and it was amazing to see life coming to a place that seems so desolate and void of any life. It was such an energizing hike and adventure.  Something that is needed in this girls life.  For those of you that don't know me very well; I find mountains and being on top of them to be my energizing force.  It's how I recharge. It is where I go to process thoughts, ideas, and feelings.  It is where I am closest to the spiritual things that I believe and love.  It helps to keep this crunchy soul stay crunchy and full of love!
FLOWERS!!!!

Spring has sprung on the Tundra!

Little yellow flowers too!










White Alice! 
Today is a post office day, gym day, a meeting at work day, and then out to dinner with my loveliest friend in Nome, Jesse day.  Tomorrow it is back to the grind.  At least it's just a 9 hour office day. Honestly I think it's going to be really stupid. It's more orientation to HR (Hi mom!), and other such paperwork oriented things.  I thought we covered all this stuff during that first orientation week... guess not.  sigh.  Oh well. You can pay me time and half and I will be grumpy, but present.   I am very excited about next week though. There is a very bright light at the end of this 14 day stretch! I will be having a very special friend coming to visit for a few days! YAY! The thought of friends and a 4 day break will have me being A-Okay through the next 7 days.  Also this thought helps too: Overtime Overtime Overtime = $$$$

The ice has finally broken away from the shore! I wish it wasn't pea soup foggy out so I could show you all a picture! Summer is here... somewhere ;)  Please keep my sister-in-law in your thoughts and prayers as my brother and her work through some trying times medically.  You are so loved Pepper.

I ate this on Sunday. Halibut Pizza. Two of my most favorite foods smashed together.  Pure heaven!
I thank you for your texts, emails, snail mail, and packages! I love you all so incredibly much!  Until next week lovelies!

1 comment:

  1. 2 things.

    1) I want that pizza. NOW.

    2) Kindly stop being so hot. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete