Sunday, June 9, 2013

So was it Nome good or like Lower 48 good? - Everyone in Nome.

Most days I feel like.. Yeah I can totally do this for two years.  Those are usually the days when there is nothing but sunshine, and dust in the air.  Right now it is currently 34 and freezing fog outside (I'm sorry Wundrground.com is calling it "light drizzle mist" that almost makes it better), and it's on these days that I question why the hell did I come here. Yesterday we saw I think 8 people in the ER all day. And afterward I went to look at a studio apartment that wasn't even Nome Nice.  Spirits are sinking a little.
"light drizzle mist"
Seems our summer was the entire 14 days I worked.  Even if i'm working through those days it's still nice to know that outside the wambulance the sunny tundra is right there and we open up the garage and just look out, or go out and do a few sun salutations before security comes and gives us the talk on why we can't leave the wambulance bay door open... Turns out it's because we heat the tundra. Yeah I guess it's not the best idea, but it's still nice for a sanity break.

I didn't think I would be using brand new, awesome 700-fill waterproof Patagonia jacket until September.  Turns out it's debut day was June 8th (HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE!!!!!!). Today I look outside and I want out. I want a real summer. I want what all my friends have in Denver, Anchorage, Seattle, Columbus.  I want sunshine and warmth. I want my cat back. I know I have an awesome light at the end of this 14 day stretch of work that just will not quit. But geeeeezzzzz can it be Thursday yet?  Can it be 65 again? Can I see the sun for 24 full hours again? Can I please have a work schedule with 2 two days off in a row again?

Perhaps today since I have no really new pictures or any cool new stories I will talk to y'all about Nome Nice.

So. Nome Nice.  Nome Nice is when you would probably think twice about owning something in the lower 48 but in Nome... it's a luxury item and you will take it at any cost that it may come to you.  For instance let's discuss my current apartment.  The set up is nice even for lower 48 standards. However what is inside.... Nome Nice.  The stove is probably form the late 80's (but everything works!). The couch I am typing this up on could very well be the same big blue couch my uncle owned in Ohio about 25 years ago (but it isn't broken!).  My TV is probably older than me..(but it works!). My bed has an awesome 3" memory foam topper that I put on it to hide the 10 years of others sleeping on it (I have a great endorsement for that company!).  I have a working full-size washer and dryer and dishwasher!  No garbage disposal.  When you walk up the stairs to the door the whole house sways.  This is Nome Nice.  The apartment I looked at yesterday was as big as my bedroom is now, it did have a fridge, microwave, stove, oven, sink (also no garbage disposal), the bed was on the floor about 8ft from the stove (I guess I could use it as an extra heating source?), a chair that looked like it had been around since Nome was incorporated (1901), did have a stackable washer and dryer in the unit (This makes it borderline Nome Nice), and a bathroom that makes an airplane bathroom look spacious (sigh.. I have lots of girl products. They include an assortment of awesome shampoos and conditioners, make-up, scrubs, lotions, potions and other such things that have no place to live in that teeny tiny place).   I also knew it was gonna not be awesome when the guy told me "I own 40 rental properties, some are real nice... this isn't one of them"  At least the guy was honest.  I'm gonna check out the unfurnished 1 bedroom underneath this studio and see what I could make of it.  I could probably furnish it for about $500.  May not be the bad way to go (think of all the awesome Nome Nice things that could be ALL mine!). Or maybe I will continue to live in my Nome Nice corporate housing until the rentals open back up (Damn you gold miners, contractors, and the Discovery Channel film people!).  Good news is this guy said he would let me bring Bentley up and not charge me extra rent or deposit.  He's a really nice guy, I have friends that rent from him and he has a really good reputation in town.  Perhaps if these two don't work out, him and his wife will keep me in the back of their minds when something does open up.

love this. hahahaha every bit of this!

Time to paint my toe nails a shade of blue called "Butler Please".  I'd go to the gym, but of the rec center is on summer hours and obviously no one ever goes to the gym on the weekends, ever. Especially in the summer.  It's 1030am.. too early for wine?  It's like 230pm back in Columbus..... just sayin. Maybe I will actually fold the laundry and put it away... instead of just picking out of the clean clothes pile in the center of my bedroom floor (level - Bachelor living).

This was a pretty "Dear Diary" entry.  Hopefully the next one will be more cheery and full of awesome pictures, and better stories.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I didn't realize it was so rustic. I hope you're having a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to realize the good days aren't all that far behind the days like these. Those are the days that make me appreciate the days like we are having right now... not a cloud in the sky and almost 80... it's only 11am! Nome.. You're doin it right :)

      Delete