Friday, August 30, 2013

The dice of Zeus always fall luckily. -Sophocles

It's been a week since I have been in the big city.  I have been able to transition to nights pretty easily. Turns out my insomnia kicks in pretty well around 3am and I'm good until about 5am when I get really sleepy and then come 715 I will be showered and in bed. Then I wake up at 3pm and do it all again.  I have seen some pretty crazy stuff since I've been here.  I've seen what a high heel can do to a persons face when it is used as a weapon. I have seen what a brick can do to a persons face too. I have watched someone die. I have watched a man try so hard for so long to breathe and a heart rate above 150 beats a minute for over 5 hours get intubated and watched their core temp just sink sink sink. And I got to see the dysfunction that happens when the critical care nurse that is going to take that poor soul prioritizes her morning coffee over the care of this individual because we need to transport this patient around 5 minutes before shift change.  Good to know that Nome isn't the only dysfunctional place around. Don't worry I still get see my fair share of drunks too.  Had a lovely come in high on spice and a BAC of 331.  Perfect combination for a person to be completely insane. And they were.  Found completely naked running around a neighborhood. And I got to see when three teenagers beat up an elderly person and put him in the ICU with a brain bleed from the impact of his fall.  What the hell is wrong with people?

Also this is what happens when you have a few cocktails and decide that trimming your tree with a chainsaw on top of a 10' ladder and the branch you cut down first hit you and knocks you off the ladder and you land on a chair.  Guess he was lucky enough to get away without anything but a broken femur.

I like driving a car again. It's also pretty nice going to Dairy Queen and getting an Oreo and Peanut butter cup blizzard.   Also it's a little weird having a glass of wine at 7am.  It's totally legit, but it seems weird.  Oh well. Everyone is entitled to a cocktail after a 12 hour shift. Done and done.

I have the next 4 days off before my next shift. Who knows where I will go and explore. But I will surely let you know.

Until next time lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment