Monday, July 1, 2013

Where there is no struggle, there is no strength. - Oprah Winfrey

“If you saw Atlas, the giant who holds the world on his shoulders, if you saw that he stood, blood running down his chest, his knees buckling, his arms trembling but still trying to hold the world aloft with the last of his strength, and the greater his effort the heavier the world bore down upon his shoulders - What would you tell him?"  'I…don't know. What…could he do? What would you tell him?'  To shrug.”  - Ayn Rand

Let's discuss some of the things that I have witnessed over the last few weeks. I have seen when  a loved one beats the living crap out of someone, I have assisted in a sexual assault exam on a 4 year old, I got to be in the room when a person was told that they have Hepatitis C thanks to the IV drug habit of their significant other.   It's been a rough couple of week in terms of figuring out how to cope, absorb, learn from each situation and how to let it roll off the shoulders.  I found my inner strength from talking to my family, but also from the incredible group of individuals that I am so blessed to have surrounding me where I work. Kindred spirits that have all had to walk this path of struggle.  From what I gather you just have to take it at face value, to know that I did what I could in this persons time of need, and that's about it.

Sunset behind the hospital at 130am with low cloud cover
I just got back from a few days in Anchorage. Did the Bush shopping spree at Costco so I picked up excessive amounts of chicken breasts, candy, salt and pepper pistachios, picked up stuff for others that don't leave Nome that much. I went to Target and touched all the things.  Met some new friends, and hung out with amazing older friends as well.  I was so proud of myself. I didn't even cry on the plane going back to Nome! It's like I'm actually okay with it now.  I know it's not a forever home, but I do, at times, miss this little town.  I do love that my soul mode of transportation is either my feet or my 4-wheeler.  I find myself getting possessive of the Norton Sound region.  In Anchorage there are lots of walrus ivory carvings and such for sale, but they aren't from the villages and carvers that are in and around Nome. And those are the carvings that I want.  I guess I'm turning into a bit of a homer.

My mom has now gotten to experience being "Nomed".  She had sent me a box of goodies and it said that it had arrived in Nome on June 15th... I got the box today. July 1st.  Nome likes to hold on to things and when she is ready she will give you the goods.  It's like that with weather, mail, text messages, phone calls, really anything you might actually like to have. For instance Nome likes to hold my text messages for a few hours at a time and sometimes I get a mass grouping of messages from a few people (like 10-20 text messages), or when I just get a voicemail and my phone never rings... Nomed.  Nome looks out for me by screening my phone calls like that I suppose.

I have 3 days of work ahead of me, then I'm headed back to Anchorage for a little getaway with my friend T.  We are going on a trip to a little town called McCarthy.  I am looking forward to seeing more parts of this amazing state that I have yet to experience.  Alaska is now closer to my 1.2 favorite state.... uh oh.  So there will be many more pictures after that little adventure.

The weather has turned for the yucky. Low 50's and intermittent drizzle.  Delicious. I wonder what will come through the door tomorrow.  I kind of love that about my job, even with seeing the worst of the worst, it changes every single day.  I love the variety.  Keeps me on my toes!

My love to everyone.

Until next time lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment